Thursday 26 February 2009

Guest blog, GPS

I was picked up from head office, as per normal and put into the hands of a nice enough looking couple going to Melbourne.  I started in my customary manner, asking them to fasten their seat belts which was received with an English expletive relating to the nanny state.  Not offended, I waited whilst they struggled to tell me where they were going.  The woman, rather to my surprise, found it fairly easy, the man seemed to think one of those bulky old maps would be preferable.  In my nicely modulated tones I directed them the very best way out of Sydney, the man seemed to disagree or just not understand my simple directions, I had to keep reconfiguring and each time I told them that was what I was doing, it provoked a reaction as listed above.  To begin with I considered changing to another voice to avoid confrontation, I can do a number of voices for all customers and occasions, but as we settled down on the motorway and I had time to observe my two new clients, I concluded that all this shouting was just a cover for deep sensitivity!  I came to rather like the man, he put me in mind of Winston Churchill whose vowels and consonants are exemplars to people like me.  I have to admit to misdirecting them in Melbourne, but as the woman said, this gave an opportunity to view the city.  They picked up some nice friends along the way, and stayed at some pretty smart addresses.  They also had an admirable selection of places to go and I much enjoyed meeting George and Sophie (who is very pretty)  I smartened up my diction a bit for her.  All in all, I was rather sorry to find myself back in the black zipper, pity I can't read the blog and follow their travels.  I believe that they will have a car in New Zealand, perhaps I can get a posting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment